Day 382 - Swedeburg
Located about six miles south of Wahoo, Swedeburg at one time was a lively Swedish settlement. Grace Lutheran Church, 739 County Road 16 (402-642-5842), organized in 1870, was known as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Swedeburg Congregation. Its present white-frame, Gothic-style church was completed in 1916. Olof Grafström painted Christ in Gethsemane for the altar painting. The original Swedish Mission Church, which was organized in 1876, was about two miles southwest of town at the Fridhem Cemetery. In town, the Swedeburg Covenant Church, 1702 Ash Street (402-443-5443), has a cornerstone inscribed, Sw Eu Luth. Miss. Kyrkan ‘Fridhem’ 1909.
Copyright © 2009 nordicway.com and Swedish Council of America (http://shop.mnhs.org/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=868 for copies of Touring Swedish America). All Rights Reserved.