Day 297 - Norway
Bethany Lutheran Church, 815 Iron Street (906-563-8472), began in 1880, and the sanctuary still in use dates from the late 1880s. The whitewashed frame building was first located in the hills above Norway but it was moved to town in the early 1890s. The bell tower and chancel were additions. Above the Iron Street door is a stained-glass window inscribed, “Swedish Lutheran Church.” Nearby is the white-frame Evangelical Covenant Church, 1200 O’Dill Road (906-563-9480), whose congregation was organized in 1883.
Copyright © 2009 nordicway.com and Swedish Council of America (http://shop.mnhs.org/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=868 for copies of Touring Swedish America). All Rights Reserved.