Day 246 - Kearny
First Lutheran Church, at 65 Oakwood Avenue (201-991-1623;www.firstlutheran.netfirms.com), was organized in 1890 as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Gustavus Vasa. A frame church had been built in 1891 but was replaced in 1930 by the present brick sanctuary, designed by Swedish architect Martin Hedmark (1896-1980). Visitors enter the church through a free-standing redbrick bell tower with a parabolic arch and a pointed steeple.
The interior of the sanctuary has a pine ceiling in the shape of a ship’s hull. The ceiling and beams have painted designs reminiscent of Viking art. The raised, light-colored wood pulpit, trimmed in gold paint, is surmounted by a canopy.
Copyright © 2009 nordicway.com and Swedish Council of America (http://shop.mnhs.org/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=868 for copies of Touring Swedish America). All Rights Reserved.