Day 180 - Pigeon Cove
Cape Ann, northeast of Boston, was known for its quarries of granite, the stone used to build the Bunker Hill Monument in Boston and to pave the streets of several eastern cities, including New York. Swedes and Finns were attracted to the area by employment possibilities. The first Swede arrived in 1879. Most of the early Swedish quarry workers lived on Pigeon Hill Street or in the immediate vicinity In the early 1890s, three Swedish churches were built. The former Swedish Lutheran Church, 20 Stockholm Avenue, is now a private residence. In 1891, Swedish Methodists built a church at 147 Granite Street. Today the building is used as a silversmith’s studio. Down the block at 111 Granite Street is the for- mer Swedish Evangelical Church (Mission Covenant), built in 1894 and now a private residence. Although none of the former Swedish congregations currently exist, there are Lutheran and Covenant Churches with Swedish roots in nearby West Peabody Beverly, and Lynn.
Copyright © 2009 nordicway.com and Swedish Council of America (http://shop.mnhs.org/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=868 for copies of Touring Swedish America). All Rights Reserved.